Saturday, January 17, 2009

Quit the whining


A group called the Center for Constitutional Rights isn’t happy with how the New York City Police Department is handling its business. The organization is complaining that NYPD officers stopped, interrogated and frisked more than half a million people last year, with 80 percent of them being black or Hispanic. By the way, the civil rights group is suing the police department over its stop-and-frisk policies. Of course. The first question that popped into my head was what percentage of crime in New York City is committed by those same groups. In fact, NYPD spokesman Paul Browne notes that the number of minorities who were subjected to such stops was consistent with descriptions provided by crime victims and witnesses. Added Browne, “It should not be surprising that in a city of over 8 million people, where police make approximately 400,000 arrests annually based on probable cause, they would also make approximately 500,000 stops based on the lesser standard of reasonable suspicion.” The rights group also claimed that since 2005, such police stops resulted in the discovery of a weapon only 2.6 percent of the time. Said Darius Chaney, an attorney working on the lawsuit, “At that low rate of return, you have to question whether this is a legitimately good crime-fighting strategy.” While I’m sure Mr. Chaney is an expert on fighting crime, I’ll have to disagree with him. If the stop-and-frisk policy stops even one robbery, one rape or one murder, I’d say it’s worthwhile. Years ago, I was sitting in my car outside my house in South Carolina when a police officer, gun drawn, approached the vehicle and asked me to put my hands on the steering wheel. Of course, I complied. He was looking for a suspect in a rape that had occurred nearby, and I matched the general description of the criminal. He was just doing his job in determining whether I was the guy they were seeking. When he questioned me and determined that I wasn’t the rapist, he and I both went on our way. It never occurred to me to sue him and his police department for violating my civil rights as an Irish-American. How silly of me.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I imagine there are plenty of people not carrying guns because of the “stop & frisk” policy just as knowing the police could be out with radar certainly curtails speeding. However, one has to be careful stating that something is good if it prevents just one rape, robbery, etc. The manpower could be directed in a different manner preventing dozens of the same type of crimes for instance. Ultimately, I tend to leave any decision to those held accountable like in this case the NYPD.

January 17, 2009 at 4:09 PM  
Blogger PRIguy said...

I have no problem with a cop asking to search my vehicle or my person. Why? Because I have nothing in or on either that would make me a suspect for arrest. Sure, it's inconvenient, but I agree with Brant. The cops are doing their jobs. Sometimes the "greater good" is the way to go.

Cops don't randomly arrest people. If the people who are angry because they've been selected to be searched, well, perhaps they ought not put themselves in situations in which they could be suspected of wrongdoing.

January 18, 2009 at 7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

It is I.

6th level mage, otherwise known as Snakor, the underworlds ring of jest, otherwise known as lord god of the grandest pyres of hell, otherwise known as triumphant goat devil-sire, otherwise known as grand lord underbelly of the pits and regions of your nard cheese, otherwise known as the master of darkness, otherwise known as the Mayor of Pittsburgh telling you....

that I am waaaaaaaaaaatching you.

January 21, 2009 at 1:18 AM  
Blogger Lou Louis said...

jk! just me! lolz~! xD

January 21, 2009 at 1:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee, imagine, when 80 per cent of the crime committed by blacks or hispanics, who will the police stop, interrogate, and frisk?

Lilly white Swedes?

phonyfeminazi

January 27, 2009 at 4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home