Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Who cares what they say?

It's rare these days to see a candidate for president make a speech without being surrounded by other politicians who have endorsed their candidacy. For instance, if John McCain is making an appearance at a rally in Texas, he'll be accompanied by various state political leaders - governor, congressmen, mayors, etc. - who are backing his campaign. Sometimes these endorsements might give a candidate a boost. Some say McCain prevailed in Florida because the Republican governor there endorsed him. But the endorsements of Ted and Caroline Kennedy didn't help Barack Obama win in the Kennedys' home state of Massachusetts. Overall, I doubt that many voters are swayed by endorsements from their governor or lawmakers. Would you vote for Hillary Clinton in the upcoming Pennsylvania primary just because Gov. Ed Rendell likes her? I imagine I am in the majority in that I look at all the candidates, consider their positions on a variety of issues that are important to me and make my decision based on that. And while our newspaper and others diligently interview candidates and make their recommendations to the voting public, I pay no attention to that, either. If I'm ever at the point where I find two candidates to be absolutely equal on all counts, I'll just pull out my lucky penny and flip it, not ask, "What would Ed or Arlen do?"

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger PRIguy said...

I agree. My vote has never been influenced by a politician's endorsement. Perhaps this is to curry favor. In Virginia, the governor has endorsed Obama. Interesting. Right after that headline, another one stated that Governor Kaine of Virginia is on the short list of choices for key staff positions if Osama...ooops...Obama gets elected.

My vote is influenced solely by what I learn on my own about a candidate. It's important for voters to do a little research. With every major newspaper and television station having a Web site, it's very easy to find out anything you want to know. One should investigate both liberal and conservative news outlets, read what they have to say, take from it what interests them, and make an educated decision.

What frightens me most, however, is when some celebrity endorses a candidate and the fans of these generally ill-informed bubbleheads assume that since Bono or Susan Sarandon or, God forbid, Tom Cruise or Oprah, thinks that a candidate is "the one," then that should be for whom they cast their vote. It's lazy and stupid to base one's choices, particularly one as critical as a presidential candidate, on what is said by someone who is attractive or has a modicum of talent.

February 13, 2008 at 5:55 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

I would never be swayed by a politician's endorsement. However I am swayed by what Hollywood has to say. I was never a Mike Huckabee fan untill I saw that Chuck Norris was backing the Republican candidate. Chuck Norris! That guy can divide by zero. Here's hoping that Chuck can round house kick Huckabee right into the White House.

February 14, 2008 at 10:10 AM  
Blogger Brant said...

Ric Flair also is supporting Huckabee, but I hear there's dissension between the Flair and Norris factions. Can Chuck escape from a figure-four leglock?

February 14, 2008 at 11:04 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

You should be round house kicked or asking that questions. Of course Chuck Norris can escape a figure four leg lock. He invented it. He's also counted to infinity...twice.

February 14, 2008 at 1:15 PM  
Blogger PRIguy said...

I'm feeling sheepish. I had no idea that Huckabee has such an esoteric group of supporters. I'm going to research this one, per me earlier post. I'm going to TMZ.com - it seems to have become a viable news source lately. I wonder who Paris Hilton is going to support. I think I'll check into what Stephen Seagal thinks too. If it's Huckabee, then I'm convinced!

February 15, 2008 at 6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoo! To be the man, you have got to beat the man. Ric Flair is a kiss stealing, wheeling, dealing, limousine-ridin', jet flying son of a gun. Whoo!
Chuck doesn't have a chance, since Ric is the dirtiest player in the game.
Diamonds are forever and so are the Four Horsemen!
Whoo! Whoo!

February 15, 2008 at 10:27 AM  
Blogger Moe said...

ummm...yeah...I???? OMG...I'm so friggin' lost!

February 15, 2008 at 1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home