At the suggestion of regular contributor Priguy, we're going to have a little lighthearted weekend exercise in the world of film. All of us have movies that we like, but that most other people find horrible, or films that we have in our personal collections that we would be ashamed to tell anyone about. So let's hear what your guilty pleasures are when it comes to film. I'll start off with mine, and I'd also like you to tell me your favorite all-time film. Also, if you, like Priguy, ever have an idea for a discussion topic on the blog, feel free to e-mail me at Bewman99@yahoo.com. I can't promise anything, but I'll certainly consider your proposals. Now, to my list of shame:
1) "Ode to Billy Joe" (Yes, it's a sappy movie, but back in the day when we were still changing TV channels by hand, Glynnis O'Connor was "the bomb," at least in my book.
2) "Rich in Love" (Another sappy, sentimental movie, but it's got great South Carolina Lowcountry locales, and in my mind I'm always goin' to (South) Carolina. My wife hates this movie so much that she threatened to divorce me if I ever watch it in her presence again.)
3) "Milo and Otis" (A cute kids movie about the adventures of a dog and cat. Thanks to my now-grown daughter, I've seen it, oh, 376 times. But I like it. Go figure.)
4) "The Sandlot" (See above, just substitute my now-grown son for my now-grown daughter)
5) "Red Dawn" (An almost unintentionally funny film about a bunch of kids counterattacking against Soviet invaders in the rural U.S. But Patrick Swayze (say a prayer for the guy) kicked some Soviet ass. Can you say "Wolverines!"?)
6) "Bachelor Party" (A rude, crude, senseless film featuring one of the earliest movie appearances by Tom Hanks. And what's your answer to this question? - "Debbie or the car?")
7) "License to Drive" (You get both Coreys - Feldman and Haim - and teenage hijinks. Yeah, it's stupid, but the scene with the drunken driver singing Sinatra, by itself, makes the movie worth watching.)
And on the opposite side of the ledger, a movie I'm not ashamed to say is my all-time favorite: "Sideways" - You get sex, wine and golf. 'Nuff said.